Friday, March 2, 2012

steve king's magic bucket memory


Stephen King, in his book On Writing, says that you shouldn’t write your ideas down. If they’re good, you’ll remember them.

God bless him. I imagine he has a brain like a bucket with a hole in it. A magic hole where only the bad ideas fall out.

My brain is more like a wind tunnel combined with a sieve. An evil mutation that gives me a whole lot of ideas and lets me retain none of them. Unless I write them down. So I do.

I’ve had so many times when all I remember of an idea is that I had it and I thought it was incredible. Steve would say that idea sucked or I would have remembered it, but I forget everything, good or bad. This is proven by my journal, which to me is a revelation after three days. I read a blog post then scroll down to leave a comment, spot a comment that says exactly what I had intended to say, then I realize I wrote the comment myself a week ago. And I have no memory of reading the post or writing the comment. My bucket has no magical bad-idea-losing hole. My bucket is all hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment