Wednesday, March 28, 2012

toby, inadvertent pet abuse, and blogging

I forget I have this blog and when I remember, it's a jolt to the heart, like remembering in a dream that you left a baby in the backseat of a cab.

When I was nine, my neighbors the Harbaughs went on vacation to Florida for a week. I remember I was jealous because we weren't going on vacation that year, unless you counted a day at Six Flags which I did not.

The Sunday the Harbaughs got home, their garage door was up and I wandered over to see if their kids had interesting souvenirs or sunburns or anything else worth seeing. Mr. Harbaugh came out and presented me with a crisp five-dollar bill and gave me a pat on the shoulder.

I was thinking, this is a weird souvenir to bring a nine-year-old. What, they didn't sell sand-dollar magnets in Florida anymore?

Then I found out from one of the kids that Mr. Harbaugh was paying me for feeding their dog while they were on vacation. I had absolutely no recollection of being asked to feed Toby and I certainly had not fed Toby or even thought of Toby once in the previous seven days.

That dog lived seven days on nothing but toilet water.

When I remember this blog and I get that jolt, I often think fondly of Toby. Hopefully my blog is as robust as he was.

No comments:

Post a Comment